Probate Solicitors in Nelson & Barrowford
At Farnworth Rose, we provide specialist advice and support to bereaved families the process of administrating a loved one’s estate.
Probate is the term which is commonly used when applying for the right to administer the estate of a person who has passed away. This is known as a Grant of Representation or letters of administration, a legal document which confirms the executor has the authority to deal with the estate.
The person or persons named as an Executor in a Will must handle the estate by paying any taxes and bills and distributing any money or property to those who are entitled to it.
If you have been appointed the Executor of somebody’s Will or are required to act as the Administrator of an estate, our experts can help remove the stress and worry of dealing with organisations such as banks, the Courts and the Inland Revenue.
To talk to one of our specialist solicitors about how we can help you, call us today on 01282 695 400.
Or, if you’d prefer to arrange a call back with a member of our team, simply complete our online contact form here.
How can a solicitor help you with the administration of an estate?
Losing someone close to you is a distressing time and it can be difficult to know where to start when dealing with the administration of an estate. Instructing a specialist solicitor can relieve a great deal of this burden.
At Farnworth Rose, our friendly, dedicated solicitors will be available to help you with all aspects of the administration of an estate. From applying for the Grant of Probate to dealing with complex Inheritance Tax issues, our team will provide expert knowledge and support to guide you through the process.
Our solicitors will be on hand to remove the stress and worry of dealing with organisations such as banks, the Courts and the Inland Revenue whilst taking care of any legal complexities you may face.
Why choose the Probate Solicitors at Farnworth Rose?
By choosing Farnworth Rose, you will have an experienced solicitor on your side to guide you through the process of administering an estate.
Amanda Coates, Wills & Probate Solicitor at Farnworth Rose has extensive experience providing advice on the administration of estates, inheritance tax and the use of trusts.
Amanda is also a student member of STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners), an international body professional body which allows its members to develop a greater appreciation of the issues that arise in trust and estate planning.
To talk to Amanda about how our expert team can help you, call Farnworth Rose today on 01282 695 400.
Cost of applying for the Grant, collecting and distributing the assets
Dependent on the size of an estate, we anticipate that the process will take between 7.5 and 10 hours at £201.00 per hour plus VAT. The total costs for a smaller estate are estimated at £1500 and £2000 plus VAT.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of your matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. Where there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
The team at Farnworth Rose will explain the process and, if instructed, deal with the full process for you. The above guidelines are for estates where:
- There is a valid Will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 3 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. Where disputes do arise, it is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate.
Disbursements included in this fee:
- Court application fee for the Grant of Representation is £155 plus 50p per sealed copy
- £5-7 Swearing of the oath (per executor)
- Bankruptcy searches of beneficiaries are £2 each
Disbursements are the costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties such as court fees.
The team at Farnworth Rose will deal with the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to minimise delays and ensure a smoother process.
What are the potential additional costs?
- If there is no Will or the estate consist of any shareholdings (stocks and bonds), there is likely to be additional costs. These can vary significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. Your solicitor can provide a more accurate quote once they have more information
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost 50p (1 per asset usually)
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
How long will the process take?
In most cases, estates that fall within the range are dealt with within 3-6 months.
Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 3-4 weeks. The next step will be to collect assets which can take between 2-3 weeks.
Once this has been done, your solicitor can distribute the assets which normally takes 2-3 weeks.
Our Probate service for obtaining the Grant of Representation
The specialist solicitors at Farnworth Rose can help you through this process by obtaining the Grant of Representation on your behalf.
How much does this service cost?
TOTAL: fixed fee of £850 plus VAT
Full breakdown of costs:
Legal fees: £850 plus VAT
VAT on legal fees: £170
- Probate court fee of £155 + £1 for two sealed copies
- £7 Swearing of the oath (per executor) with will
- £5 Swearing fee per administrator with no Wil
As part of our fixed fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Complete the Probate Application and the IHT205 HMRC form on the basis of information supplied by you
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 1-2 months provided all values of assets are available.
If you’d like to discuss any of our Probate services with an experienced solicitor, call us today on 01282 695 400.